Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pineapple Beef Stir- Fry



I think everyone has a go to meal, this would have to be ours. It requires simple ingredients that we always have on hand and it's easy to put together. I got the recipe from a Company's Coming cook book that my dear friend, Jocelyn gave me for my birthday last year. I am not much of a recipe follower, but I understand that some people do prefer to cook with a one, so I've written it out for you. This recipe makes enough for two people...

Pineapple Beef Stir- fry

2 tbs. ketchup
2 tbs. soy sauce- I reduce this because of the high salt content
1/4 tsp. ground ginger- I use freshly grated ginger
1/8 tsp. garlic powder- I use crushed garlic
1/2 pound beef stir fry strips
cooking oil
2 cups of stir fry veggies
1/2 cup of pineapple tidbits- you can used canned- I use fresh
1 tbs. pineapple juice- I use fresh pineapple juice, you can use canned if you like
1 tbs. toasted sesame seeds- you can omit these if you are following a low fat diet like ourselves.
hot cooked Jasmine rice- it's our favorite, but any rice will do.

Directions:

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, reserve 2 tbs in a small cup. Add beef to bowl. Stir until coated and let stand in the fridge for 30 mins (it's not a big deal if you're in a hurry and don't have time for this. The meat will not be as tender or flavorful, but it'll work fine). Stir fry the beef mixture until done. Remove the beef from the pan and add the next 3 ingredients until the veggies are tender crisp. Add beef and reserved ketchup mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. I serve it over hot jasmine rice.

nutritional information provided in the Company's Coming Cook book:
I think it would be substantially lower in fat without the sesame seeds.
per serving (half of recipe without rice): 346 calories, 14.8grams of fat, 26g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28g protein

No comments: