Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pulled Pork Sandwiches





Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe

Dry Rub:

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
pork- I used tenderloin

Mix the above ingredients together. I used a pork tenderloin because it is a lean cut of meat, even leaner than chicken. I removed all of the visible fat first then I rubbed the spices all over it. I placed the seasoned meat in my slow cooker and cooked it on high until it was finished. I think I put it in at lunch time and we ate around 5:30ish. When it's fully cooked shred the pork with two forks and make the sauce...

3/4 cup of cider vinegar (don't confuse this with apple cider vinegar. You may want to reduce this amount even further than I did. The original recipe called for 1 and 1/2 cups.)
1/4 cup of yellow or brown mustard (you may also want to further reduce this amount as well.)
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/3 cup of brown sugar
2-3 cloves of pressed or finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon of salt (I omitted)
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (you may find this too much if you don't enjoy spicy food. You can omit it if you like.)

Mix all of the ingredients together and allow the sauce to simmer until is has thickened and the sugar is no longer grainy. Spoon the pulled pork and sauce over some crusty bread. I served it with some parsnips, carrots and brussel sprouts that I roasted in the oven with olive oil, garlic, onions, and a little bit of salt n' pepper. It makes delicious leftovers, if you have any. I had to beat my husband away from the slow cooker.

1 comment:

Twyla said...

Going to try this one for supper tonight. Looks yummy!