Monday, January 17, 2011

Egg Rolls





I made these with the left over phyllo pastry I had laying around. We ate them with some rice and stir fry veggies. I'm going to call them egg rolls because they have the same filling as an egg roll but you can easily make them into spring rolls using bean sprouts and other spring rollish ingredients. And since they baked, not fried they are low in fat. I don't have a formal recipe, I just kind a threw things together. I'll try my best to tell you how I made them...

Egg Rolls

Makes 6
1/4 of a medium size cabbage grated
1 carrot grated
1/4 of a small onion grated
-1 stalk of celery grated
-2 cloves of garlic minced finely
-1/2 cup of frozen shrimp (tails removed)
-pinch of tumeric (optional) but it gives it a lovely color and tumeric is an anti-inflammatory!)
-1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (optional) We love hot food
-pinch of salt
-1/2 teaspoon of soya sauce (optional) I am the salt police so I didn't add this but I do suggest that you do)
-ground black pepper
-4 sheets of phyllo pastry

Saute the shrimp with non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of oil and add a bit of tumeric. Remove the shrimp from the pan. Grate the cabbage, carrot (you can skip this step by buying a coleslaw mix), and celery. Add all the the cabbage mixture into the same pan you used to fry the shrimp then add the minced garlic, salt, soya sauce and crushed red pepper flakes (if desired). Continue to fry until it is soft and transparent. Mix the cabbage mixture and shrimp together and set aside and allow to cool a bit. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.


Cut two layers of phyllo pastry into three long strips and then pile 1/6 of a portion onto the middle of the long strips. Fold of the ends over to meet with the other end. Then roll the filling and pastry, tucking the ends in to cover the filling and prevent it from falling out. Continue to do so until you reach the end of the pastry. You can seal the end with some egg whites if you like. Then place the roll seal side down on the greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 F for 10-15 mins (or until the pastry is golden brown). You could also make these vegetarian by simply omitting the shrimp.

These are virtually fat free I think other than the phyllo pastry that has just 1 gram of fat/sheet.

No comments: