Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Morning Blueberry/Banana Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce



Blueberry/Banana Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omitted this)
1 egg, lightly beaten (I used 1/2 cup of egg whites instead)
1-1/4 cup fat free milk
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Maple syrup, optional

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, bananas, blueberries and vanilla. I used a non stick pan and Pam cooking spray to fry them. I used a quarter cup measuring spoon to ladle the pancake batter onto the pan.

Nutritional information per 2 pancake serving (without syrup):
Calories: 195; Fat: 2g(would be less with the egg whites rather with the whole egg) Cholesterol: 31mg; Sodium: 317mg (less if you omit the salt like I did); Carbohydrate: 41g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 6g
I found the recipe and nutritional information here

Blueberry Sauce
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
1 tsp. corn starch
1-2 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. water
cinnamon

Throw all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring a boil on medium heat and wait until the sauce thickens. Double the recipe if you are making a full batch of pancakes. There is only the two of us here, so I halved the pancake recipe. This sauce is easy peasy to make and better than syrup.

I always try to use local produce if possible. The frozen berries I used were wild ones from Oxford, NS. You can see a photo of the bag below. You can also see my newly finished kitchen back splash, it was a DYI project that we are very proud of.

No comments: